Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

a week of miracles

This week was a week of miracles! So many wonderful things happening here in Hamilton!

Monday we had dinner with Sister Watson

! So fun. She has been through so much but stands strong and means it when she says, "I don't go to church for the people, I go for God. If I went for the people, I would've left a long time ago." Can I get an amen?

This week we have really been working with the Pope family. We did service and helped them clean, we taught them about the Restoration and the Plan of Salvation, and they came to church yesterday. Progress! We are doing FHE with them tonight so FINGERS CROSSED they cooperate and participate!

We also visited a member and talked to her about her missionary efforts. This is what I have come to understand about member missionary work: there is a desire and there is a vision, but the in between stuff... that's unknown territory. So we've been thinking of ways in which we can develop a plan to help members be the effective missionaries they desire to be and that their friends needs them to be. We discussed with her ways and questions in which she can approach her friend with:

-how would I want to be approached about spiritual topics?
-what is my testimony?
-how can my friend benefit from this?
-why does my friend need this?
-what is motivating me to share this with my friend?
-what is the worst thing that could happen if I share this? Can I live with that?
-if they are offended or reject what I share with or offer them, then where do we stand? Where do I stand?
-what are some inspired questions I could ask my friend to teach her?
-what can I tell them about my week that may make them ask more about what I want to share with them?
-am I being motivated by love?

One of the first things I learned when I got to the field was what a terrible member missionary I was back home!! But talking to our friends is our commission and sharing with them what we love is our privilege. They may not accept it, they may be offended, but if we are acting out of love, we will never be in the wrong, and we will be doing exactly what the Lord expects of us. 

We also met with a couple former investigators this week, too. We helped Kerry to clean her house and she even came to church yesterday! We also met a guy named Alex. From what he has told us about himself, he has lived quite the extravagant life! We are still seeking the spirit to discern between truth and not-truth, but it's exciting nonetheless!

Last night we went and dropped by a media referral of someone who had requested a Book of Mormon, but the man that answered the door hadn't requested it (son probably did). He was very nice and Christian, but very quick to cut us off as we tried to bear our testimonies to him. It just makes me so sad for people who don't give the spirit a chance to just touch their hearts. I am just so grateful that I am apart of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and that I have found the truth.

With like half an hour before the end of the night, we found 2 new investigators! We had another media referral and then we were talking to this guy on the street who was shoveling snow out of his mom's driveway. She opened the door and told us to come in. When we were talking with her inside, we asked her what made her welcome us into her home. She was like, ""I don't know, I just saw you and felt like I should let you girls on in!" Right you are Daphne. We are excited to share the gospel with her!

The work is hastening here! It is wonderful! 

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment